un and global governance lecture 4
Tags: UN and Global Governance
- Operational uncertainty
- Overambitious mandates and underresourced
- Brahimi and HIPPO
- similar roles
- long leads on budgeting process
- inflexibilty of budgeting process
- Brahimi and HIPPO
- Adamczyk - view of poc mandates wrt to force differ between UNSC and TCC
- penholder roles and uncertainty?
- IOM - UNMISS were poorly coordinated
- Gorur and Sharland: Prioritizing the Protection of Civilians in UN Peace Operations
- phaesd mandates
- Blocq: The Fog of UN Peacekeeping
- is it possible to write a mandate process that is the actually aligned with the situation on the ground?
- tripe hatting -> is this fundalmentally wrong?
- instituional knowledge -> is this fundalmentally lacking?
- how much is the idea of PoC a lipstick on a pig?
- merger of equals
- merger of different departments without firing
- complicated task of poc
- impossible to itemize all potential issues
- humanitarian space
- when the UN enters the humanitarian space, what does that forclose?
- IOM report talked about how the UN as a place of support, but if the mandates are interpreted differently, what happens?
- how much does tcc influence have on the mandate?
- International Humanitarian Law
- UN Mandates
- Local communities should be made aware of the mandate and role of PKO’s
- tipping off gas is #1 crime
focus on civilian protection
- 1999 studies show 90% of deaths on civilians
Range of POC Activities
- Protection through Political Process
- Protection from Physical Violence
- Establishing a protective environment
- Political diversity
- Reactive capability
- Unclear structures
- Weak command and control, bad troop interop
- Poor in house information and intel analysis
- Bad information sharing <- airwars
- The triple hatting of the deupty SRSG (RC/HC) is very difficult
- The Deputy SRSG political controls UNPOL
Timeline for Deployments
- very long lag between troops promised and troops delivered
- transition period happens as the troops go up
- expansion of civilian protection mandate recieve increasing more scruinty