Sloan-White: Corporate Islam
Sloane-White, Patricia. Corporate Islam: Sharia and the Modern Workplace. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781316875605.
- Distinguishes zakat between zakat al-mal and zakat al-fitrah
- what are the possibilities of corruption in zakat based insitutions?
- strange interpretaion of zakat on income taxes?
- using human capital accumulation as the safety valve for capitalism instead of wealth accumluation?
- zakat as an economic motivator - banks can’t hold onto large cash reserves since zakat eats away at it
- are there interest rates in malaysia?
- corporations - are they people? are they assets? what about non-public corporations?
- this discussion cannot be separated from interest rates
- zakat as tax writeoffs, what about zakat during the 1997 asian financial crisis?
- paper trail, does the paper trail aspect of htis makes it so that the increased transparency puts up greater barriers?
- most of these new charities work to solidify the status quo, is this a status based thinking of zakat?
- crowding out the local NGO’s, creating a sense of who is poor and who is not