geb chapter 6 (the location of meaning)
Tags: Hofstadter - Godel, Escher, Bach
- deconstruct langauge down to syntax, alphabet, grammar, sounds
- where does meaning reside in this?
- like how one note in music cannot be identified to have emotional resonance
- decoding a message -> linguists and astromers
- inutition of the location of meaning
- we expect things to hold meaning such as a newspaper in russian, even when we can’t read russian
- meaning exists independently of text
- framing/out/inner vs /scope/medium/meaning
- can we give information that is context free?
- intelligences love patterns